Tuesday, August 18, 2009

I Know you're out there somewhere...(yes, that was a song!)

Very heartening to get some responses to my last blog, even if they're not here on this site. Thanks to you all for letting me know you're reading, even if you're stumped by the technology here. There are more than a few!

This week is going fast, getting ready for the weekend show at Minnekhada Lodge which is originals only. After my experience at the last sale where very few originals were sold I'm spending some time painting some magic books & will paint some smaller originals in the form of cards tomorrow and Thursday. I've spoken to some other artists & they are also concerned about the amount of work and costs to set up with the prospect of little to show at the end of the day. So, making some affordable original works to sell is my goal this week.

I'm also heading off to Langley to capture some magic pencils to complement my art...maybe I can slip some under the table this weekend for $1, or else see if I can use them to amaze & surprise people coming by my table. The great thing about shows (other than prospective sales!) is the chance to interact with people & have fun. And apparently there's a magician at this show so who knows what trouble we could get up to together!

I'm one of the fortunate who doesn't have to worry about starving (or getting evicted) if I don't sell my artwork--so in some ways I'm freed up from anxiety, stress, wondering if people will like my work enough to buy it, should I change my style for others, all that survival thinking that I'm sure many creative people are impacted by. I have created a lovely lifestyle, with family & friends and support everywhere I look, by luck & hard work, so anything I do in this field is really freeing and I'm just loving that. Had I started in art earlier, when the demands of being financially stable, building home & security seemed necessary, I'm quite sure I wouldn't have the same sense of possibility. Then again, maybe not...and you never get a chance to live things over, do you? Certainly I'm grateful for the chance to express my creativity now, in this fashion, in the world I live in which is already so rich in so many areas.

And, my aim IS to sell my stuff, to have it generally available in the world, at prices that are affordable to anyone who likes it. I dream of the day when people see my art on the street, or on transit, (in Canada, Australia, Europe and the US for starters) and start a conversation about it with the person carrying it around because they think it's gorgeous and they want to know where to get some for themselves! I'm really happy with the decision to branch into beautiful items with my art on them that are also functional and serve people in the world...(calendars, journal and drawing books, bags, cards, fridge lists, and so on), so if you have any wonderful ideas for me please send them on to me! I love new ideas--something with a distinctive twist (preferably with an enchanting element), not the same old, same old, is right up my alley!

That's it for tonight, probably for the rest of the week. Not only is the show coming fast but some family just left and more are coming to visit for the weekend. I'll be back to let you know what happened after "Art in the Park", probably Monday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment