Monday, December 7, 2009

Those darned fairies are at it again!!

Some of you may recall the saga of the fairies that got into the works of my 2010 calendar printing & sent some to a photographer in Virginia...(if not, see backdated blogs, try, October). Well, I thought I hadn't gotten any of his in return, I looked thoroughly through my box of calendars, and they all looked like mine.

I sold most of them through, and amongst the sales were 6 to my sister-in-law in Ontario, so before I left Vancouver I very carefully packed up her order to send with her sister when she went back east to visit. And lo & behold, when Suz unpacked the magic bag 3 calendars of Virginia appeared. And I haven't even seen any of them yet!!! Guess this means more work for Santa's elf, aka my husband, who I'll call tomorrow to get to mail replacements asap to Ontario. What DID I do to get those fairies playing their mischief on me again?

Meanwhile, back in Oz...I'm having a great old time settling into the Down Under life. I keep forgetting it's nearly Christmas when I'm golfing, walking the beach, bbq-ing outside, late sunsets, seems like mid-summer. Then you see someone in a Santa hat & go "????" Oh yes, it's almost that time! What do I need to do to get ready? Not much when you're on the road, except join in on the parties!

I've spent most of the last week down at a town called Lakes Entrance where a friend has a big house close to the golf course & the beach--absolutely fantastic, relaxing, watching all the birds from his back deck. On the first day there I counted 20 different types of birds while walking the golf course--from Crimson Rosellas, rainbow lorikeets, pelicans, white herons, yellow-tailed black cockatoos, wattle birds, black swans, some kind of oyster-catchers, yellow-crested cockatoos, to Willy Wagtails, galahs, magpies, whip-birds (they make a sound like a stock whip snapping), mynahs...the variety is incredible. And that's without all the different little ones, little thrushes, wrens or whatever the tiny birds are, that flit around the bushes so quickly you can hardly catch them. They all move pretty fast so are hard to capture with paints. I have a bit more luck with sketches...but they keep moving!!! And most of them are even hard to capture with a camera, because they do keep their distance, and seem to be aware of you watching them, at which point they fly off.

It was great to just relax and recharge my batteries after so much travelling, and get lots of sleep in a more rural setting. Watching the stars of the Southern Hemisphere at night is spectacular, and there was a big full moon shining most of the nights we were there. No curtains at Surge's so it shone in my window almost all night the first few sleeps. Now it's not rising until the middle of the night so it doesn't seduce me away from my sleep so much.

Well, that's all to report for now, back to civilization & time to get more photos uploaded, pick up my art supplies tomorrow, and catch up with my uncle & aunt and more cousins that I haven't seen yet this trip.

Catch you later! Please tell the fairies to stop!

No comments:

Post a Comment