Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Back to the future

Hello followers!

Well I'm not quite finished the tiling yet but wanted to get back to you & to my blog, and return to a pattern that was working for me. My latest Landmark course, "An Invented Life--My Life, My Design" is working on me. That is to say, I am seeing how my brain patterns work on my actions and in then my brain starts using those patterns to predict what's in my future...and I'm wanting to shake that up a bit. Not 'cause my life & future isn't already great, it is...just that, well, creating is much more fun that blindly following some pattern that has happened before & unconsciously repeating it because it's easier to be on automatic pilot than to actually generate something new. Of course all that MAY just sound like babbling to you so I'll get on to what else is going on.

I feel like I've lost the magic, hopefully temporarily...although I did think I saw a fairy at dusk flying up into the trees in my garden tonight. So, I'm dreaming that the magic will reappear tomorrow too. Looking for it (as I've written earlier--either here or in my magic journal) is what has it appear, & I've been keeping myself much too busy to look for magic, or be inspired by it. I must say, I have been noticing magic (words or phrases) popping up in some unusual places, and so have some of my friends...so maybe I'm creating a little wave somewhere that I'm not aware of yet. I live in hope!!

I just came back from another session of painting on pottery in my Duncan cousin's studio--learned from the first time, learned more the second time (& looking forward to seeing what happens after firing) & if I get another chance to do some more direct painting, using her straight chemical pigments instead of glazes, before I go to Australia, that'll be even more fun! Some of last week's items will be put in her Christmas sales so we can see if there's a demand for some joint projects next year.

On Saturday I'm excited to be trying yet another medium--dying on silk (ok, I'm not going to kick the bucket, even though my friends tell me that's a guaranteed way to have your art pieces triple in price immediately!) in the studio of Deb Strong, a wonderful Langley artist who does beautiful work with silk as well as more traditional forms of art. (When did I say "I only like watercolours--don't have any interest in doing any other type of medium"??) I've also been toying with the idea of collage so we'll see if that comes to fruition soon.

Maybe I am going through another creative phase--I've certainly enjoyed playing with the slate tiles & patterns that I've been cutting out in the bathroom. However that is such heavy work, & mixing all the thinset & soon the grout isn't my favourite, so I don't think I'll be taking that up seriously. I could be talked into some mosaic work very easily though! From light (silk) to heavy (stone)--I can see I'm all over the map again! I wonder if my coach is going to steer me into more of a focus when we have our session again this week....

Well, I'm off to bed to rest up for another big day--there's a new instructor at the pool where I do deep-water classes & she seems to think we're all hard-bodied 20 year olds. While I am training to climb Mt. Kilamanjaro in 3 years I think it might be easier than her classes!

So, dear reader, stay tuned & I'll be posting more regularly for the next few weeks! Ciao for now
E

No comments:

Post a Comment