Tuesday, September 29, 2009

More Magic!


Well, the tiling job is finally finished (to my delight & artistic satisfaction, I might add) & I'm off & running with creating art again. I might take a photo of the beautiful honed beach slate with handmade glass mosaic tiles to show you how well my design turned out...if you'd like to see it let me know!
It was so exhilarating to go to a silk painting workshop with a wonderful artist, Deb Strong (cat 'n mouse designs) on Saturday. She's a great instructor & I was really happy with the two pieces I created during the day. I've put the mermaid up for your viewing pleasure.
This image could be used as a t-shirt print, & I'll be looking at it for cards & calendars too. The photo was taken with a phone camera on-site so it doesn't do the painting justice. The silk still has to have the dye set in a steaming process, which Deb is doing for us, so I won't have the original back for another week. I could really be seduced into this art form--the dyes were amazing in how they flowed into the fabric, and the colours are really strong. Unbelievably compelling. Could I be steered away from watercolours? I'm starting to wonder...who was that person who said she was satisfied with watercolours & didn't have any intention of exploring any more mediums?
I also had a great time painting on pottery the weekend before & I'm looking forward to seeing how the second batch turned out after firing. I guess I'd better send off an email to my cousin to get some photos.
That all said and done, I'm feeling a little freer with my time, and have organized my 2009/10 trip down under. I'll be heading out of LA November 17, stopping in Brisbane for a week, then moving on to Melbourne & will hit the road from there after spending some time with cousins & friends & picking up my little car. After 4 months in the sun, painting and developing my art business & contacts there I'll return to Canada mid-March. So, the future in my crystal ball is becoming a little clearer!
Is the magic back? I'm looking for it! If you see it pass by your way send it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment