Monday, November 23, 2009

From the Sunshine Coast

My first few days in Australia have been excellent, and I'm settling into my adopted country very well so far. Yesterday I had my first go at driving on the opposite side of the road (for this time) & didn't go wrong anywhere! It was a manual/standard transmission to boot, just like my little car that's waiting for me in Melbourne on Thursday, so that was a good start to my "walkabout" for 4 months, which is actually more like a "driveabout"!
I haven't been on the internet much due to travels so the photo upload will have to wait again. My camera is getting more painting material on it each day, and I still want to tackle the photos from California!
So busy catching up that it's hard to find time to draw or paint however I did sell a few cards & another calendar yesterday, and get some kudu horns drawn for a friend who is a kudu fanatic and wants a design for his cabinet. People in this area are very creative and artistic, it's a bit of a retreat that way, and I find it a very supportive and inspiring environment. Not that I don't have inspiring and creative people around me almost everywhere--they just don't have that funky Aussie accent to try to figure out!
Tomorrow I start heading south again, first to cousin Lynda's place in a suburb of Brisbane, then on to the airport for the short (2 1/2 hour) flight to Melbourne on Thursday. After a couple of days there, getting my carand seeing some of the cousins there, I'll be headed off to another beautiful little town called Lakes Entrance which is a 4 hour drive east from Melbourne & we'll be visiting our wonderfully funny friend Surge at his mansion that he built himself (& probably isn't yet finished).
Will keep you posted as I go, right now I must get off the internet at this local cafe. Too much fun to be had to sit inside!!
Oh yes, no fairy sightings yet however have had some wonderful bird spotting including the yellow-tailed black cockatoos, lorikeets and butcher birds. Heard the kookaburras calling this morning at dawn (5 am) but haven't spotted any yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment