Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Getting ready to head south

Just like a snowbird (why do they call them snowbirds when they fly away from snow??) I'm getting ready for my annual trip to my country of choice--Australia. I'm on the count-down, 8 full days left to go and lots going on to fill them.

Last week I seemed stuck in some kind of glue & it seemed like nothing I did worked, no-one wanted to do anything that I wanted to do, & there wasn't much fun to be seen. No sense blogging when you feel like that!

Luckily I had scheduled a session with my world-class hypnotherapist on Saturday & things took a turn for the better after that. Thanks Jackie!! Somehow I came out of there, into the autumn sunshine, got some framing done for my 3 shows this weekend and started selling my art again. I don't know how I get off-track sometimes, maybe it's just to keep me knowing I'm human & not a fairy who can twitch her nose or wave her wand or cast a spell & everything goes right again.

So, now I'm into the homestretch, planning for the parties this weekend, the packing, the farewells, the travel, what paints to bring, all those electronics we haul around these days & have to remember chargers & batteries for...the list could be endless. Not to worry, I'm headed to a civilized country where you can buy anything you need or forget. Although with all the deadly snakes, spiders, sharks, jellyfish, droughts & fires & hurricanes some people wouldn't call Aussie civilized! For a Canadian-born person who hates snow & cold & winter, however, it's a paradise!

I'm looking forward to painting those magnificent gum trees again, the beaches & oceans, swimming & playing in the surf with cousins and friends, hiking around Sydney's beautiful headlands, exploring some new territory, seeing the Musee d'Orsay exhibition at the National Gallery in Canberra, and who knows what else for the next 4 months! Not to mention Christmas in Oz, usually a delight of seafood buffet, great wine, a trip to the beach, long sunlit days and evenings, maybe a bit of yoga for exercise! It's been 3 years since I was down under for Christmas so I'm ready for a hot one!

And this time I'll be looking closely to spot some Aussie fairies, or other creatures of magical ilk. All those dreamtime legends must have some basis in reality! The nature gods are very strong in Oz & there is definitely a magic to the call I feel to get down there. Going walkabout is good for me, being close to nature, finding some new spots, renewing my acquaintance with old favourites (no, Di, you're not an OLD favourite, just a favourite!!). And I'm really looking forward to re-connecting with all the family & friends I haven't seen since April. They are all very special to me and I love spending time with them.

That's about it for now, I might have time to post one more time before I leave, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment