Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The first post

Hello everyone
This is my first attempt at blogging in my journey to becoming an artist with a presence in the world. Hope you all enjoy following my path, help me with my challenges, celebrate my successes!
I'm playing a game, making up the rules as I go, of becoming a world-class artist pulling down a 6-figure income (Canadian dollars will do!) with my work, and I'm looking for people to play with me, be on my team, be coaches, cheerleaders, fans, yes, even critics (I doubt if I'll save that one until I'm good enough to be published! Hmm, I guess I'm self-publishing so that opens up the critic role, doesn't it?)
So, a bit about myself. I'm a Brit by heritage (my father), Canadian by birth, and Australian by choice (got sworn in 18 months ago on Aussie Day in Melbourne). Right now I call myself a dual citizen as I haven't been active on the European side for quite some time now, but you never know, if my career takes off...well, that British heritage/passport could come in handy when my new coach takes my paintings to Paris! I'm a watercolourist, have been painting seriously for about 5 years now, and have started playing with ink and words in combination with the watercolour landscapes that were my passion when I started.
Once I figure out this blogging I'll get some photos of my work up so you can see. That is, if the copyright/watermarking issues are resolved. Apparently no-one wants to have their work copied by putting it straight onto the net. A sad commentary on the state of the world, isn't it?
I'm just going through an intensively creative period and fleshing out my business and game plan for the next 5 years. I'm not sure if all the credit is due to my new coach, who told me she has been an artist's muse in the past. I haven't had time to research what the muses are about, maybe someone out there will tell me soon so I don't have to spend time googling that as well as accounting principles, setting up corporate structures, how to build a website, branding & PR, as well as getting art & reproductions ready for my two big art shows in August... Then last week in Calgary I met someone whose photography business actually included "muse" in the name so once I saw that I knew I was on the right track! Funny how those synchronicities happen when you're looking out instead of in.
Well, I must get to bed, rested & ready for my first coaching session tomorrow. My world-class sports psychologist (& my university basketball coach in a previous life) tells me to perform at a high level you cover the basics first--good nutrition, exercise, sleep & relationships (mine with my husband who is my best support system) are the pillars. I'm pretty good at 3 out of 4, the sleeping sometimes needs boosting, when I get too excited and going too fast my mind is just a whirling buzz that goes 24/7 until I have to crash. Anyone got any tips? I've been off caffeine for 5 years, don't like sleeping pills or drugs of any sort (other than I'm fond of a glass of wine on many occasions!), warm milk or camomile tea is helpful sometimes...those are my mainstays at this point in time. Melatonin when really bad...
Anyway, that's it for the first post--hopefully I can figure out how to get this up & running so you can follow my trail!
Ciao for now!
e

1 comment:

  1. Great start Elaine. I wouldn't worry too much about posting pictures of your paintings on the blog. They might be violating some sort of copyright but it would be obvious they're not getting the original, just a downloaded clone. And it is a compliment.

    ReplyDelete